During a major transition in my life many years ago, a friend recommended that I read, Being Happy by Andrew Matthews. My initial reaction to the book’s title was that it sounded too simplistic for me. After I read it, I realized that its simplicity was what made it great!
Matthews’ writing style is simple and concise. The result is easy to understand explanations on concepts that are sometimes difficult to understand and remember. He also includes a tiny summary at the end of each section that he calls “In a Nutshell” that drives key points home and makes them easier to commit to memory. Matthews is also a cartoonist, so he includes lots of illustrations that support his points.
Matthews’ work resonated with me so well that I bought several of his other titles and I modeled his writing style when I wrote my own books. The other books of his that I read include Follow Your Heart and Making Friends.
Below is a list of the major points from the book Being Happy that I keep in my day planner and review often, sometimes daily.
- We are drawn toward our dominate thoughts.
- Face your fears and your fears disappear.
- We develop courage by regularly extending and testing ourselves.
- Ask for what you want.
- To achieve anything worthwhile, there is always risk involved.
- We have to abandon the search for security and reach out to the risk of living with both hands.
- Law of the universe: Rewards come after the risk.
- Find something you love to do and the wealth will flow automatically.
- “Whatever you can dream you can do… begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.” -Goethe (Quote included in his book.)
- We attract what we hold in our mind. Our mind is a magnet.
- We always attract into our lives whatever we think about most, believe in most strongly, expect on the deepest levels, and/or imagine most vividly.
- We magnetize into our lives whatever we hold in our thoughts.
- All change will be met with resistance.
- Always speak and think well of yourself and visualize your life working as you want.
I use this list to keep me on track and motivated. I hope you find it useful in being happy and inspired in your own life.