The purpose of this consortium is to discover advanced small house designs through research and contributions from people around the world. The goal is to come up with small house designs that set a new standard and can be used as a guide, model, or starting point. These houses are not to be minimalist and cheaply outfitted but rather well-appointed, comfortable, and even luxurious.
Here are the three design targets.
- Studio House: 400-600 sq. ft.
- Loft Studio House: 500-700 sq. ft.
- 1-3 Bedroom Houses: 600-1,000 sq. ft.
Here are the four demographic targets.
- Small Families
Here are the general design goals.
- 400 – 1,000 square feet.
- Or the smallest that local building code will allow.
- No houses built on trailers or boats.
- Use of green, healthy materials.
- Energy efficient or independent.
- Advanced sound & temperature installation.
- Thermal envelope roof ventilation.
- Zero or limited west-facing windows.
- Face house north.
- Wired for Internet & television.
- Central air and water purification.
- Central cooling and heating.
- Central security system.
- Laundry area or room.
Here are the design innovation goals.
- Unique use of interior space.
- Multipurpose great room.
- Built-in computer/office station(s).
- Built-in multipurpose shelves and cabinets.
- Multipurpose furniture e.g. tables.
- Stove-less kitchen.
- Open design with minimal walls.
- Multiple garden rooms.
- Raised (waist-high) easy-access vegetable garden.
- Interior atrium or courtyard.
- Studio (no bedrooms) designs for one person or couple.
- One-car garage with abundant storage.
- Family design with clever girl/boy bunk/dorm style rooms.
- Two-car garage with abundant storage including overhead.
- Storage in commonly unused space over and under beds, over counters, and over sofas.
- Abundant easy access storage in loft, attic, or basement.
Here are the building innovation goals.
- High-quality alternative materials at a lower cost than conventional.
- High-quality alternative construction methods at a lower cost than conventional.
- Housing developments and master-planned communities exclusively for small houses.
- Separate neighborhoods for each of these groups: singles, seniors, couples, and families.
- Common facilities like multipurpose buildings, sports areas, and organic fruit and vegetable gardens.
Creating five perfect small house designs is a huge goal, but I believe my passion along with millions of other people will carry it forward to completion.
Here’s how you can participate.
- Submit your designs, ideas, product, or service.
- Although anybody can participate, architects, designers, decorators, builders, manufacturers, suppliers, and bloggers are especially encouraged to contribute.
- If you’re an architect or builder please include the following — if you want.
- What inspired you to become an architect or builder?
- What is your philosophy for small house designs or buildings?
- What do you see in the future for small house designs or buildings?
Please introduce yourself here.