This DreamHost review is by a customer, me, and not some person reviewing hosting companies without any direct experience with them. A few of these reviewers may have good intentions, and the information might be of some use, but I’ve rarely seen a comprehensive one based solely on a real customer’s experience like this one is.
I’ve been building websites since 2000. I started learning about website design using raw HTLM code in a course I took at a university in 1997.
From the beginning, I fell in love with website design and internet capabilities, opportunities, and freedoms. I immediately learned that a web host was required to put up a website on the internet — along with domain registration through an accredited registrar. I use Google Domains.
I started building my websites using Microsoft FrontPage. Yes, the old dinosaur, with an emphasis on saur (sore). FrontPage was good for its time and especially for beginners. I tried several others along the way. I’m now using what I consider the best by far. I share information on it later along with all the reasons why.
As is my nature, I did deep and long research to find the very best web host. Here are the criteria I followed.
- Top rated
- Best value
- Low cost
This is where I started. Bizhosting integrates hosting, site building, and store development. It’s good for a green beginner.
This is where I was for 13 years. Most of the time I was there it was owned and led by one person. Then it was sold to a conglomerate and it changed in ways that no longer met my requirements. BlueHost is still one of the best and lowest cost hosts out there, however. And I still recommend them. Get current pricing and plan information for BlueHost here.
Site Build It
This is where my websites blossomed. Site Build It (SBI) offers a unique all-in-one package that includes site-building, hosting, training, and much more. The education that you receive via tutorials is invaluable. Through them, I learned for the first time how to generate traffic and get top search result rankings with engines like Google. This short video tour provides an excellent overview of SBI. Get a concise summary of key information about SBI here (page).
This is where I finally found a web host that matched all my criteria, values, and aspirations. The perfect name then, yes? I’ve been with DreamHost since 2017. Deciding to go with them is one of the best decisions I’ve made since I started building websites. I’ll share another best decision soon. I’m going to focus on what makes them unique in comparison to other hosts. Here’s what I love about DreamHost.
- Integrity – I’ve never seen DreamHost do any “tricky” product or price changes for the sake of getting more sales. In addition, DreamHost has never made any changes to the products I use that negatively impacted me. Their pricing and products are clearcut and straightforward.
- Pricing – Being that DreamHost’s products and equipment are advanced, regularly improving, and very well priced, it’s a tremendous value.
- Free stuff – DreamHost takes advantage of free open source products when it makes sense to do so. For example, they offer free SSL/TLS, which is crucial these days. And they have a flawless system in place that automatically renews them. SSL/TLS can be expensive if done on your own.
- SSL/TLS secures a website for visitors and site owners. You can tell if a site is using this technology if you see a tiny padlock icon next to the website address like you see for this site.
- Customer support – DreamHost’s in-house customer support is truly remarkable. At first, I was a little leery of their chat format as I had come from a hosting company, Blue Host, which had telephone support. I was thrilled to discover that chat support, in an e-business environment, with DreamHost in particular, due to the custom control panel (more on that next), is far superior to telephone support. With DreamHost chat, support representatives can instantly give you links to locations inside your control panel, links to key information, and much more. You can easily provide them with links and information as well. These things cannot be done during telephone support. It really works amazingly well.
- Custom control panel – DreamHost’s control panel is simple and focused. It also enables seamless integration of their outstanding customer support chat and many other cool things.
- Most web hosting companies use the generic cPanel. It works well, but because it’s a one-size-fits-all product it includes a ton of features that I never used or even understood.
- Continually improving – I’ve been amazed at how often DreamHost has made improvements to my website servers (specialized computers), service features, and products. I’ve never seen so many improvements by a host that affect me directly.
- Upgrading – As the need arises (e.g. your site takes off), you can upgrade capacities and products yourself right inside your control panel. If you need help with any of this, you can, of course, chat with a DreamHost support representative. All the representatives I’ve chatted with are technicians and not salespeople. So no worries there.
If you are a beginner, I highly recommend that you choose DreamHost’s Shared Website Hosting or WordPress Basic Hosting. You can easily upgrade later if your dream becomes a wild success. 😀 Be sure to select the “Unlimited” version if you plan on building more than one website or blog.
I chose DreamHost’s VPS Hosting. It’s more expensive and more advanced. It requires some e-business experience to appreciate its advantages. I have several sites on one account, including this one, and it works perfectly for me.
I strongly recommend using WordPress whether you want to build a blog or website. It’s phenomenal. I’ve been using WordPress since 2012 and I consider making this change another one of the best decisions I’ve ever made since becoming an internet entrepreneur (e-business articles).
What I like in particular about WordPress is its non-profit and open-source structure. I especially like its global volunteer collaboration on its design, technology, and continual improvement. Imagine the strength of WordPress’ development when contributions are coming from all over the world.
Another best choice I made in this regard was my decision to select a premium WordPress theme and framework over the iffy free ones. What makes them iffy is their lack of expertise, maintenance, and support.
When I started I had no idea of the importance of a premium WordPress theme and framework. Once I dived into, which I always do to a ridiculous depth, I learned of their important benefits. Moreover, I discovered that many of the leading experts, bloggers, and companies were using the same products that I picked.
I’m using StudioPress’s premium WordPress themes and genesis framework for this and all my websites. StudioPress provides rock-solid products and value. I highly recommend them. Their customer support is unparalleled as well.
DreamHost truly lives up to its name. I cannot think of a single thing I’d change or improve. And that’s very rare for me.
If you’re interested in using DreamHost to start a blog or website, get a special deal here.