Taking vitamin supplements is a crucial part of being healthy and fit. We don’t get all the nutrients we need from the food that we eat. There are also some nutrients that we couldn’t get even if we ate the healthiest food imaginable. The best way to fill in the gaps, and make up for any deficiencies caused by aging or illness, is to take supplements.
In my opinion, if a person isn’t taking advantage of these proven substances they are doing themselves a disservice. For many years, leading scientists and nutritionists have continually added to the list of benefits that supplements provide to the human body.
These benefits include increased energy and alertness, better mood and outlook, less susceptibility to illnesses, enhanced capacity to recover from surgery and injuries, and the ability to improve or eliminate a wide range of medical and dental conditions. To learn more about vitamin supplements, check out these books here and here.
Vitamin supplements are essential for optimum fitness and health. There is no benefit to overdoing it, however. The key is quality, not quantity. So be sure to select products and suppliers that you trust.
I am only going to talk about what I have come to understand as being the most important general health supplements. Let me give you this advice. Before taking these or any other supplements, be sure to check with your doctor. This is especially important if you are taking any medications.
Here is the list of supplements that I am taking along with comments on their benefits.
- Vitamins & Minerals (high-potency tablets) – Aids in general good health in many ways.
- Multi-Source Plant Proteins (powder/smoothies) – Provides the full spectrum of proteins the body needs. Has no bad fats. Is highly digestible, unlike animal sources.
- Krill Oil or Fish Oil (softgels) – High in Omega-3 EPA & DHA fatty acids. Aids in heart and vascular health. (Note: Fish oil costs much less, but studies indicate that it may not be as beneficial. Do not take both.)
- Hemp Heart Seeds (bulk: bag) – Complete protein (good for vegans and vegetarians). Omega 3: reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, and lowers blood pressure. Omega-6: stimulates skin and hair growth, maintains bone health, regulates metabolism, and helps brain function.
- Turmeric (spice or capsules ) – Helps to prevent cancer, contains anti-inflammatory compounds, increases the antioxidant capacity of the body, improves brain function, and lowers heart disease risk.
- Cumin Seed (ground spice) – Similar benefits to Turmeric (above).
- Chia Seeds – (bulk: bag) – Contains nearly all important nutrients such as protein (all amino acids), omega 3 fatty acids (highest source), antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Lowers blood pressure & cholesterol, reduces inflammation, supports weight loss, boosts energy, and more.
- Garlic Oil (softgels) – Lowers heart disease risk, reduces blood pressure, treats colds, fights cancer, and much more.
- Selenium (tablets) – Protects against cardiovascular disease and certain forms of cancer. One of the most potent immune system boosters and antioxidants.
- Spirulina (capsules) – This blue-green alga is high in protein, antioxidants, and vitamin B-12. It boosts the immune system, improves cardiovascular function, aids in detoxification, increases energy, and much more.
- Chlorella (capsules) – This green alga provides complete protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and more. It strengthens the immune system, detoxifies and purifies the body, and promotes healthy cellular growth and repair.
- Niacin (capsules) – Also known as vitamin B3, it helps the body with energy production, cholesterol reduction, and mood enhancement.
- Vitamin D3 (softgels) – Supports bone, colon, muscle, immune, & breast health. (Being low in this important vitamin is common, so supplements are recommended.)
- Vitamin B-Complex – B 1, 3, 6, & 12 (capsules) – Supports energy, metabolism, and antioxidant health. (This supplement is important for vegetarians and vegans because the main source is animal products.)
- Saw Palmetto (softgels) – Aids in men’s prostate health.
- Natural Psyllium (husk or powder) – This dietary fiber helps to keep your digestive system clean and healthy.
More highly beneficial supplements are added to this list as I discover them. I would estimate this list to be version 7.0. 🙂
Warning: Be sure to check with your doctor before you start taking vitamin supplements as they may interact negatively with some prescription drugs, including blood thinners.
There are many more vitamin supplements that you might consider taking depending on your particular situation. I encourage you to look into it. You might discover something that will make a real difference in your life.
Any true fitness enthusiast will attest to the importance of taking vitamin supplements daily. The benefits are indisputable. Go ahead, pop some VS pills! The intellectual high of knowing that you’re doing something good for your body is subtle but good!
If you want to learn more about the amazing benefits of taking high potency vitamin supplements, a documentary called “Food Matters” covers this issue and much more. Here’s the full list of documentaries I recommend.
To your health and fitness.