Most of us, especially rebels like me, made unwise choices related to our health and safety during our first half of life. We felt invincible. We ignored our parent’s advice and health warnings on products like cigarettes. We thought we were too young to be damaged by these things and that we would quit them way before they hurt us.
In our youth, we participated in a lot of unwise behavior. This would be especially true if you were in your late teens or early 20’s and 30’s in the 1960’s, 1970’s, or 1980’s. We indulged in a plethora of things that we thought would bring us joy, enlightenment, or escape. Things like…
- Recreational Drugs – Grass, mushrooms, acid, coke, speed, and downers were experimentally consumed.
- Alcohol – Mickey’s beer, Boones Farm wine, and Southern Comfort were consumed excessively at all social gathering even if only two people were there.
- Tobacco – Marlboro, Cool, Camel Lights, and Virginia Slims were the hip cigarette brands of the day.
- Junk Food – Bob’s Big Boy combos, Big Mac’s, Jumbo Jacks, Taco Bell burritos, French fries, potato chips, soda, and cookies were devoured without concerns.
The duration of this activity varied depending on when and if you got married and had children. If you married later or not at all, your participation in these activities may have extended further into adulthood.
What’s important now is that we are much wiser and our access to information about health, nutrition, and fitness is a thousand times greater because of the Internet. The most inspiring news about choosing a healthy lifestyle today is that by doing so we can heal and often reverse much of the damage we may have done to our bodies in the past. Extensive scientific research has proven this repeatedly. Here are some documentaries that talk about our body’s ability to heal and repair itself when we change our diet, thoughts, and lifestyle.
Here’s the full list of documentaries I recommend.
By giving up bad habits and adopting super healthy ones, you can transform your health, strengthen your body, change how you feel emotionally, and dramatically reduce your chances of getting cancer, heart disease, and other abnormalities.
So what does it take to live a super healthy lifestyle? Here’s what I’ve discovered about this topic after years of research, study, and practice.
- Diet – Give up junk, processed, and animal-based foods and switch to a plant-based diet that includes superfoods.
- Supplements – Take high potency vitamins & minerals, fish oil, saw palmetto (prostate health), and psyllium (natural fiber). See full list here: Vitamin Supplements
- Bad Habits – Give up smoking, coffee, sugar, sodas, and stop or greatly reduce alcohol intake.
- Exercise – Begin a daily exercise program that includes resistance, abdominal, and aerobic exercises.
- Meditation – Learn how to meditate and do it daily.
All of this may seem overwhelming now. But as you learn about the advantages and “feel” the benefits of following this protocol, you’ll soon be on the bandwagon yourself. The key is tackling one thing at a time.
A big part of the cultural movement started by the hippies in the 60’s and 70’s was about rejecting conformity, getting back to nature, and being an independent thinker. Eating the conventional American animal-based, processed and fast food diet is conforming. Following traditional social customs like drinking alcohol at every event and spending countless hours watching “your” sports teams or reality shows on television is conforming. People who follow these conventional customs are blindly conforming to those who put profits ahead of all else. This was a key issue of contention during the social revolution of the 60’s and 70’s.
If you want to remove the chains of conformity that crept up and locked you in, reject the brainwashing you’ve received through a lifetime of exposure to advertisements on what you should eat, drink, and how you should spend your free time. Then take back your independence and take control of your health by immersing yourself in a super healthy lifestyle and enriching activities that benefit you!